Wednesday, March 24, 2010

It passed me by

Was there a Budget today? Really? That was it?!?

I had been keen to know how the government was going to tackle our record debt, support business, encourage enterprise and get people back to work. After all, this is what people on doorsteps want to know. But I don't think I am any further forward tonight.

The Chancellor spoke for an hour, but said nothing.

He whacked up the cost of cider (thanks Darling - he knows what I drink now!)

He stole a Conservative policy about Stamp Duty.

He admitted (I think) that his growth forecasts were wrong.

Petrol up, cigarettes up, booze up - again.

No rabbits. No hats. What was the point of this budget? Wouldn't it have been better to have held a General Election?

UPDATE: I know you can't fit every piece of economic news into the budget, but why on earth didn't the Chancellor mention billions of pounds worth of tax rises. I wonder why, in such a long speech with so little else to say, that was forgotten?

No comments: