Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What should a candidate wear whilst leafleting?

An unusual exchange whilst out leafleting yesterday; and an admisison - I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

I came to a couple in their front garden and passed them the newsletter.

The gentleman said, "aren't you the Conservative candidate who wants to be our MP? You better smarten up your act if you want to get into power."

I was a little stunned; his wife quickly lept in: "Oh dear, you are always saying you want politicans to be more like ordinary people and look..."

And then it struck both of us at the same time - we were wearing pretty much the same shorts and t-shirt as each other.

We laughed, and the gentleman finished: "I am even dressing like a Tory now" - "Or," said his wife, "like a young person!"

Being 30 now, I enjoy being referred to as a young person...

No comments: