Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Restoring my faith in human behaviour

Sometimes it feels as if we live in a very sanitised world where interaction between humans is limited by the rules of engagement; a fera of crime, of strangers, of adults even. However something today has shown me a glimmer of hope.

Walking to City Hall, I got "acosted" by a student, dancing in front of me and signing "hiiiiii Sir" in an irritating voice (a working hazard of being a teacher, but a delighful ritual if you like that sort of thing). I smiled at the dear little one, chuckled a little and moved on (thinking - ha ha, you have a science exam tomorrow and I don't!). As I moved away, he yelled "is that your wife" at the complete stranger walking next to me.

"I'm not that lucky," was my reply - and then far from being embarrassed or offended, the lady grabbed my arm and said to me, "go on, let him believe it!". As we walked towards City Hall she and I spoke about the positive attitude that many young people have and why witty banter and joking in public were important traits.

To whomever you are, thank you for making me realise the old adage is still true, "a strange is just a friend you haven't met yet."

No comments: