Thursday, August 26, 2004

I’ve really been enjoying the last week of the holidays. Whilst Louise continues in her quest to provide the perfect learning environment (?!?) yesterday I went out again in the City Centre delivering my latest edition of “Norwich Matters”. Got an amazing response from the August edition around the constituency – new members in Thorpe Hamlet, Lakenham, New Costessey, Mancroft, Cringleford and Bowthorpe! Really shows the enthusiasm for the Conservatives is well on the way back. Whilst out on Bull Close Road I met Green Councillor Bob Gledhill. Bob is a very rare Green politician (as well as being a former Geography teacher, I think) - utterly likeable, normal but still dedicated. Whilst some of the Greens (like all parties, I suppose) have people who are slightly fanatical and a bit scary, Bob is a really down-to-earth guy and I was impressed when he came to talk to my Year 10’s recently. It seems like the Greens are quite heavily targeting Mancroft Ward – it’ll make a really interesting fight next year, with Labour holding the County seat, the LibDems the City seats and both now the Greens and Conservatives targeting it.

Last night was the AGM of the Norfolk and Suffolk Conservatives, held in Diss. I was extremely bored during the formal part, but the guest speaker was excellent. John Gummer is one of our local Conservative MPs and an extremely experienced former government minister. His speech on localism and the route that the Tories need to get back to power was really hard hitting. Good for a local meet up and chat.

Today was mainly spent in the office getting things sorted for a major survey that we’re launching next week!

No comments: