Sunday, September 10, 2006

My views on Children's TV

I know I'm not exactly in the best frame of mind at the moment, but I cannot contain my utter contempt for children's TV any longer. The programmes made under the Tories are heavily weighted with an eye on educational outcome and are normally presented by some homely looking middle aged woman with an honourific title of Aunty. However, what really annoys me are those programmes made under Labour which look like they've been created by the Institue for Politically Correct Light Entertainment (IPCLE). It looks like they've spent longer putting the presenters and participants together to represent a good day out at the UN than actually bothering with the script. Even the programmes that involve animation or puppets are laden with regional accents. I don't suppose they are related but I really think that this desire to represent the face of New Britain is the reason why all these programmes are utterly crap. And now I hear ITV want to spend less on kids TV. Oh dear.

I'm not having a good morning.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lot of TV now is geared to Narcarssistic and Celebrity pursuit. Its a fantasy world for millions and only half reality for a few. Its Crap and effectively like a human Pyramid Scheme. Even the likes of Robbie Williams want to wake from this false existance and have his life back in Stoke.

Young people in front of a TV watching Soaps, Big Brother, Love Island and X-Factor gain a false sense of the world. This junk TV promotes easy fame and success for the untalented and mediocre, at the expense of hard work, knowledge and benefit for others. Its like the Big Mac Meal of TV. Its Addictively Crap! Young people should engage more with real life!

Anonymous said...

I say bring back Rosie and Jim and Thomas the Tank. I'm not having a good morning either although probably for vastly different reasons. I think Teletubbies was when it all started to go downhill...

Anonymous said...

I find Charlie and Lola and Grizzly tales for Gruesome Kids to be very good. Other than that, all rubbish. I'd say don't let children watch TV at all, but then what do they talk about with their friends? How about radio? You could try the children's shows on BBC 7. Check out this cool Peer Gynt game on the Radio 3 website: Peer Gynt game.
We need more, or failing that bring back Jackanory.

Anonymous said...

OT, sorry: Congratulations on beating me on Iain Dale's Top 100... grrr :-)

Anonymous said...

So you want our children to see less black people on screen.
You're just a racist mate, admit it.

Antony said...

Hardly annon. - again, people like are holding back race equality in the UK rather than furthering in. I am talking about kids TV rather than anything too political. O/T I'm sure but there are lots of good strong black characters now on Eastenders rather than the rather tokenistic efforts of a few years back.

If you like to print your real name and call me a racist, I'd be happy to go to the Evening News with it. No? Thought not. Until then people will conclude that you are a coward and I am not a racist.