Friday, July 03, 2009

The first decoy of the by-election

The sudden stuff-and-nonsens about where Chloe Smith, the Tory candidate in the Norwich North by-election, was born is amusing to say the least. Egged on by blogs - not least fellow candidate Craig Murray and LibDem Nich Starling (who is, to be fair, providing good coverage of the by-election) - it cannot be long before this hits the print media. It would be ridiculous if it does. If a Staffer is going wobbly they shouldn't be; because Chloe is utterly relaxed and honest about this.

When the Norwich South office took a call about this, I text Chloe to ask her where she was born. In a breath, she replied that she was born in Kent, moved to Norfolk aged 3 and now lives in the City. Sorted then.

In some ways, a story about who-is-most-local won't do the Tory campaign any harm. Chris Ostrowski is (or was) London based, Mr Murray himself hails I think from Scotland and the BNP chap is from outside Norfolk too. The LibDem and UKIP candidates are more local. Either way, I'd be surprised if it became an issue and equally shocked if this story made any headway.

I've been very supportive of blogs making the running with the rest of the media; I hope these non-stories don't do it any harm.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why it matters is that Smith is trying to claim to be more local than the others.

She was born in kent, raised on the other side of the county and only moved to norwich when selected.

She isn't local to norwich north and i am beginning to think she isn't very honest either.

Comrade said...

Antony,

You state

"The sudden stuff-and-nonsens about where Chloe Smith, the Tory candidate in the Norwich North by-election, is amusing to say the least. "

where is she amusing?

should the comma be after "is"

Standards are slipping, you clearly got up too early this morning......

Nich Starling said...

I hope you appreciate that my posting was not mischief making but was making a serious point about that fact that I don't beleive that people are that insular that they care where a candidate is from.

There is a problem for the tories though using phrases like "Norfolk through and through", and this was, in my opinion, a mistake which simply wasn't needed.

EGL Resident said...

Norfolk Blogger - exactly. This is about honesty in campaigning.

Antony will know I am very supportive of him and will vote Tory in the local elections and for him personally in the general.

But this is a schoolboy error - Chloe Smith is just too young and too inexperienced for the job. Simple as.

If the Cons win it will be despite their candidate not because of.

Anonymous said...

Chloe Smith may be fine doing local constituency work, but the bigger job in parliament is far beyond her tender years or experience, and for that reason I my vote wont going her way.

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with the comment about Chloe Smith, being too young and inexperienced, she may be fine working in the local area but I believe parliament is a step too far, and you can already notice basic errors being made.
And for that reason my vote will go elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... seem to be some suspiciously similar comments being posted here. I wonder who's behind them....?

Anonymous said...

I think people are tired of politicians trying to poke each other in the eye.

Anony mouse said...

I have just read Chloe's blog - big on description, low on analysis. This may be the wrong time, wrong place, wrong election.

Anonymous said...

I get more and more worried about Chloe as our candidate. Something isn't right about her and the opposition will find out.

Anonymous said...

Chloƫ Smith appears to me to be fresh and pleasant, intelligent and hardworking. If you have been following her blog, she has been working in and for the Norwich community long before Gibson's resignation thrust her into the national spotlight. For the first time in my life I will be voting Tory. I trust my faith will be rewarded.

Anonymous said...

1105pm anon; don't take us for fools. I am aware that a lot of posters will be party hacks spinning a line but not me. Chloe Smith didn't have a blog before this by-election started and ought to take a leaf out of our genial hosts book on how to do it properly. She was selected 18 months ago, but has hardly been high profile or active since. I can count her media stories (save Greyhound Opening) and leaflets on one hand before this by-election kicked off. Honestly, some people are easily taken in.