Thursday, April 30, 2009

LibDem Candidate: Why I Quit The Party

The author of this letter is a LibDem PPC who has quit and joined the Conservatives. It is a remarkable and frank letter – and a devastating review of the leadership of Nick Clegg. The LibDems on Norwich City Council are a weak opposition and LibDems in parliament, a few issues aside, are largely irrelevant. It is worth reading in full.

Dear Nick,

I writing to you to formally let you know that I no longer wish to be a member of the Liberal Democrats and as a result withdraw as Liberal Democrat Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for Chelsea and Fulham.

I joined the Liberal Democrats when I was 18 years old as a student in my first week of University at the freshers' fair and since then have been actively involved within the party. I was President of the Keele University Lib Dems, have been on various committees including LDYS [Liberal Democrat Youth and Students], WLD [Women Liberal Democrats] and EMLD [Ethnic Minority Liberal Democrats], worked as a Parliamentary researcher/assistant including for Paddy Ashdown when he was leader, been in party political broadcasts, and I have also been a PPC in Brent and Battersea.

When I heard you speak at the Operation Black Vote event in the House of Commons a few weeks ago I realised that you as leader and the Liberal Democrats are the not the party I had once believed in and is so very out of touch with everyday life and people in our country. It saddens me to say but that day I lost all faith in you and the party and I can no longer continue to be a part of the Liberal Democrat party of today.

The political party that I want to be a part of would be representative of the people and views of all members of British society and be a modern party both in outlook and its vision in implementing policy. I want a leader who will be dynamic and encourage those people who are feeling disenfranchised to think about politics, participate and join in the debate.

The Liberal Democrats does not do or have any of the above and I am therefore choosing to join the Conservative party which I believe has all these qualities and much more to offer our country today and for the future

Norsheen Bhatti

No comments: