Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Big Brother Part II

I know I shouldn't care but tonight's show was so disgusting that Louise actually walked away and wouldn't watch. One housemate - a man so awful it doesn't bare thinking about - was systemically bullied by a group of so-called adults. I know I shouldn't care and I know I'll probably be the most hated man in the country (save our beloved Prime Minister) for saying this, but I thought that pack-bullying is the most unedifying sight in the world. He was/is an idiot and did stupid things, but they tore him shread-to-shread. Locking him out, throwing his food away, stealing his clothes when in the pool and loudly shouting about how much they hate him. And this is viewing for kids too, is it? Only once have I ever seen secondary school pupils behave like that and it is shocking. They have set an awful example to the country and I hope when they watch the playback they'll be stunned by their behaviour. They set about him en masse, including walking away when he sat with them. Shouting louder and louder is no replacement for debate, honesty and reasoning. If my pupils behaved in that way no matter what the provocation, then they would be in big trouble. Two housemates - Pete and George - deserve some credit. Worst of all was that the leaders of the bully-pack were the girls, and the older ones to boot. Reality TV may just have shown me a reality of British life that I just don't like.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am sure that no one will hate u!!

Anonymous said...

I just loved the fact that one of the girls entered the house for the soul purpose of finding a rich husband (and then, one assumes, promptly divorcing him). It's disgusting that women like that are portrayed in such a public light - there seems to be a complete lack of intelligent young women role models. Grrrr...

There are times, it would seem, when the only suitable course of action is to declare oneself a philosopher, remove oneself from society and go and live in a barrel.

Ellee Seymour said...

I can't bear to watch this programme and won't allow my sons to either. Happily, they prefer football and cricket right now.

Anonymous said...

"there seems to be a complete lack of intelligent young women role models"

Well, i doubt u'll find anything like that in the big brother house anyway...

But what about our m8 maggie :D ... oh yeah u said young... erm...... :-|